Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Conflux and Essentials

  1. #1
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Conflux and Essentials

    I only want to discuss the visual spoilers cards right now, because those are the only ones confirmed, so no rumor site cards.

    Conflux - Definite. Massively powerful.

    Exploding Borders - Creature kill AND land search. Makes later game land search not as redundant. Could replace an existing land search spell.

    Martial Coup - Frankly, it could replace any Wrath in the deck as it is better. Could replace a removal spell or a Wrath/Damnation type card, but there should definitely be a place for this card somewhere.

    Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker - Duh.

    Meglonoth - It's very big and very useful. Could replace one of the 4/4s for 4 mana, or replace another critter. Not sure though.

    Magister Sphinx - Could replace one of the bigger flyers if life gain gets out of hand at hte table. Answer to Invincible Hymn (which I pulled out of my deck,. but others play).

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Exploding Borders only hits players.

    Other than that, the rest are pretty much the goods. There's a swords variant that hasn't been officially revealed yet that is pretty amazing. I don't see much else in either the rumors or the officials. But, there's still a lot of cards to go. 47 via rumors and a shit-ton via official channels.
    *mooooooooo*

  3. #3
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Yup, misread Borders. Pull it out of discussion obviously. Otherwise, it was way in.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Oh, and here are the ones going into my deck not mentioned above: Banefire, Maelstrom Archangel if I get one (mythic), Apocalypse Hydra, Giltspire Avenger, and Fiery Fall. I assume there must be more domain cards and basic land cycling cards in the set, and both mechanics are highly favored by me.

    Basic land cycling basically makes Green redundant as a land search color.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    That card would've been bad ass had it hit creatures too. Alas.

    I don't think I've seen an actually good basic land cycler yet. However.... there is a nice bird variant that was spoiled in a magazine. It isn't listed on the wizards spoiler page though.
    *mooooooooo*

  6. #6
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Quote Originally Posted by kerbythepurplecow View Post
    That card would've been bad ass had it hit creatures too. Alas.

    I don't think I've seen an actually good basic land cycler yet. However.... there is a nice bird variant that was spoiled in a magazine. It isn't listed on the wizards spoiler page though.
    It's up today, and yes, I'll play it. Exalted puts it over the top.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    I thought it was pretty damned good. 3 colors that are heaviest in the essentials and exalted to boot. All for one single green mana. That's an easy investment. I think the tiny addition of exalted really kicks it over the top. I think that Exalted could work well with essentials as it seems to attack in small bursts. Usually just an evasion creature on his lonesome.
    *mooooooooo*

  8. #8
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Quote Originally Posted by kerbythepurplecow View Post
    I thought it was pretty damned good. 3 colors that are heaviest in the essentials and exalted to boot. All for one single green mana. That's an easy investment. I think the tiny addition of exalted really kicks it over the top. I think that Exalted could work well with essentials as it seems to attack in small bursts. Usually just an evasion creature on his lonesome.
    Exalted makes int a 1/2 when it attacks - better than BOP. I am not a fan of its colors. Tapping for Green is meaningless since I spent Green to make him. So he taps for W/U. Compare to Urborg Elf or Druid of the Anima, and this guy is cheaper and the Exalted makes it better. However, it has been my experience that these guys usually don't help as much as you'd like. I need that Red for things from Akroma the Second to Arc-Slogger activations, while I want that Black for everything from tutors to removal. It's no BOP. Is Birds in the Essentials? It should be, but this is no replacement. Exalted isn't that big of a deal to me.

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Oh yes, birds is definitely in the essentials. No, I don't think it's good enough to be a birds replacement. I doubt they'll ever print something that good. Nor is it better than Joiner Adept or the enchantment variant of that. Skyshroud Elf is arguably better because of the filter, but that was already pulled. Urborg was never in. So, sadly this guy probably won't find a spot in the deck. But it's still an option for the almost essential but not quite decks.
    *mooooooooo*

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Did you read Ferret's article today? He has some interesting and relevant things to say regarding Nicol Bolas.
    *mooooooooo*

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •